NHS Continuing Care

Continuing care is a general term describing care provided over an extended period of time to those aged 18 or older to meet physical and mental health needs that may have arisen as a result of disability, an accident or illness. The present legislation results from the changes in October 2007, “The Framework for NHS Continuing Care“.

Health and Social Care are now one service but some elements seem still to be separate and may require services from the NHS and/or social services. Some Carer services are provided by Oxfordshire County Council others are provided by the NHS.

Where can you get information on NHS services?

  • Age Concern has a fact sheet: NHS Continuing Healthcare (Responsibilities) Directions 2007, which can be downloaded from their website or you can get a copy from your local age concern office. If you are assessed and are eligible, all your care needs will be paid for by the NHS regardless of your assets. You can be eligible “If you have a rapidly deteriorating condition, which may be entering a terminal phase“.
  • The Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust (PCT), Freephone: 0800 052 6088.